In the past few days, I have only discussed with you all about my experience, suggestions that Mommy and Daddy gave me and also about some do’s and don’ts that a kid must follow. But today I will share with you about my hobby. Everyone has different kinds of hobbies such as gardening, reading, singing, writing etc. My hobby is painting. I love to spend my free time painting various forms and shapes with different colours.
In my childhood days:
Painting is one thing that I love to do in my leisure time. Mommy always tells me that when I was akid I used to scribble on the floor or on the walls with a pen or a pencil. As I grew older my parents sent me to a school where I have learned a lot of thingsabout drawing and paintings. Day by day, I developed my interests in painting. My parents brought colour pallets, oil colours and paint boxes as they saw my interests in painting.
The prizes I won:
The painting competitions that I had participated in, gave me a lot of self-confidence. And the prizes that I won encouraged me to do more. My love for painting grew more from that day when I won the “Best Painter Trophy – Junior” for my school in an inter school painting competition. I was overwhelmed with joy.
The encouragement from my teachers:
My teachers always encouraged me. I got some special training for honing up my skills in painting. The teachers praised me and showed me ways, how I can improve my work. They all liked my sketches and they also made corrections on the technicalities of my sketches.
Kids Painting exhibition:
My teachers were so amazed by my paintings that they told me about the “kids painting exhibition” which is held every year. They told me to display my sketches and my color paintings. It was the best experience that I have up till now. And will never forget about that day when people praised my paintings so much.
Words of my Father:
The first painting competition where I had submitted my work, my paintings got rejected. I was disheartened, but my Daddy never lost his hope on me and he told me that day, “Veerica, remember that failure is the pillar of success. So, never lose your hope and just try for doing better in the future”. From that day, I try to focus more on the work I do so that I can create something new.
Sometimes, hobbies can become the passion for your life. Daddy tells me that everyone should spend some time in nurturing their hobbies. He also told me that if we pursue our hobby with determination and dedication, one day we will know that it has become our passion. Painting made me learn many things such as time management, improved my concentration and helped in imagining about all new things. It also taught me a lot about how to manage everything so tactfully. Painting makes me happy.
One day, I went to the nearby hospital for my regular vaccination. I met one girl over there. She had some vision problems.The doctor told her that due to extra stress on her eyes, she is having such problems. The doctor told her parents to take good care of her eyes. He also advised her parents not to let her play video games and watch television for long hours.
I asked Daddy about the doctor’s advice to the girl and her parents. So Daddy told me about the various side effects of playing video games and many health issues that children get after being hooked on to the screen.
- Less brain development:
- Continuous exposure of your eyes to the LED screen for long hours will affect your eyes. This will give you eyestrain and will lead to blurred vision. Eye problems such as myopia can also occur because of this.
- Also, too much involvement into video games is bad for the brain growth of the kids. He even added that kids should spend most of their times in playing outdoors.
- Playing video games will not let the kids think innovatively. They will remain too engrossed with the game itself. It will eventually result in brain inactiveness.
- Affect children’s behaviour: There are some video games that affect the behaviour of children and leaves a bad impact on them. Violent video games where there is too much of fighting or killing, make the kids aggressive and adamant.
- Addiction to video games: Kids often get addicted to video games. And, this distracts them from doing other activities. It makes them unable to focus on other useful things.
- Health problems: Kids who play video games frequently, face health issues like obesity, stomach issues, vision problems and many such problems.
- Less workout: Continuous and prolonged exposure to the screen will make the children lazy and they will have almost no physical activities
- Less sleep: Playing video games continuously will deprive the kids of getting a good night’s sleep. Daddy said that majority of the kids who play video games for many hours a day, don’t get sound sleep because of their involvement with the gadgets.
It is the responsibility of parents as well, to keep their children away from gadgets. A child’s health should not affect due to any external factors. The parents should also engage their child in various activities so that they don’t get bored in their free time. Kids should be involved more with the family and friends to get a happy and healthy life.
After talking to Daddy I understood about the bad effects of playing video games. I thought of other ways to spend my time in other activities which will enhance my power of imagination and creativity. I promised Daddy that from now on, I will not play video games, and rather I would read more books, make paper designs and will write stories and go to the park to play with my friends.